Wednesday 12 September 2007

Spicy Tuna Steak

Today we're going for a home cooked speciality; Spicy Tuna Steak


This is a great one, as it's quick and easy to put together, and is pretty healthy (providing you don't stick a large lump of butter on the sweetcorn, as I did).

First and foremost, you need a fresh tuna steak. You can go with pre-packed, but I always think the fish fresh from the counter is much better, so go fresh if you can. Then create your spicy coating. As always, I make it up as I go, and suggestions are always welcome, but mine was made of the following:

Olive Oil
Tarragon
Dill Tips
Mild Chilli Powder

Afraid I'm not good with measurements, and you can vary each one as to your taste. I used about 2 tablespoons of oil, then about 1 teaspoon each of the tarragon, dill and chilli. Experiment, and go with what looks and tastes right.
Mix them all together in a shallow dish, and give the tuna steak a good rub around to get it fully coated and soaked in. You could probably marinade it, but I prefer the quick option!

Then, just throw the steak in a frying pan on a medium heat for about 7-8 minutes (depending on the size and thickness of the steak).

What you serve with the steak is also up to your own preference. I went for carrots, sugar snaps and sweetcorn as I like a lot of color on the plate. The whole thing probably took about 15-20 minutes.

2 comments:

ReckenRoll said...

The English love the Sweetcorn. I have never encountered so much sweetcorn in my life as I did in London.

And it's always paired with Tuna. Why is that?

Jenny! said...

Looks good...as always! Your plates are always very colorful...my meals all tend to either be mixed all up or the same damn color, your so artistic!

Do you give your steaks a good rub even when your not going to eat them???